Our corporate policy and values have proved their effectiveness for our customers, and if you got interested in software development outsourcing with our team and want to find out how we can help you to reach your business goals, please contact us.
How to Create a Project Timeline Software: Considering Microsoft Project
Gantt chart: a tool that visually represents the steps, assignments and periods of all projects. Therefore, when a project owner or manager starts a new project, first create a Gantt chart. It is a convenient way to track all moving parts.
Similarly, the project timeline can quickly visualize project duration, easily add it to PowerPoint presentations and emails, and present the outline and status to stakeholders and project executives.
There are several tools you can use to create Gantt charts and project schedules. For example, in the Gantt diagram of Microsoft Project, you can visualize the critical path and change the color and shape of the bar. In the Microsoft Gantt diagram, you can also link tasks to dependencies.
In this article we will explain the creation procedure of a Gantt diagram in Microsoft Project software.
Create the Project Schedule and Select the Template
There is a selection of software such as Microsoft Project, but that particular software does not include a timeline template to help get you started. Therefore, when using Microsoft Project software, you need to locate the template to import, create a new Gantt chart, or add the event manually.
You can save time using templates. Especially if you do not have much experience, it will serve as a convenient starting point to create the project schedule. They are preformatted with tasks and subtasks. All you have to do is enter your own information. There are also several options to customize the templates in the software to meet your specific needs.
How to Add a Template
Adding a task in the software is quite simple, but it does not include a basic one. If you do not have time to search for a template from an external provider, you must first manually create a Gantt chart in the software.
To create a Gantt chart and use that data to create a timeline, follow these steps:
Create a Task List
The first step to creating a Gantt chart is to compose a list of required goals. Try to prioritize those in the order they need to be achieved. Even if there are dependencies, include the work that must be done first.
- Open Microsoft Project and click on an empty project.
- Add a list of tasks to the column of the name.
Specify the Start and End Dates
Since the task has been added, you must enter the start and end dates.
- Click on the start cell of the first task.
- Click on the arrow in the box to select from the calendar, or manually enter the date and enter the start date.
- Click on the corresponding final cell and enter the end date. Click on the arrow in the box and select a date in the calendar, or manually enter the date.
If you leave the period cell empty, the software will automatically enter the number of days it will take.
- Enter the start date and end date for all other tasks.
Combine Groups Related to a Single Task
The advantage of grouping tasks together is that they can collapse or extend the specific steps required to complete the planning phase. This will help you track specific parts of the workflow and identify dependencies.
First of all, we need to create subtasks.
- Create a sub-task by clicking on the row associated with a specific phase of the project. These are listed in the planning phase. For example, click [RFP Research and Approval Requirements] and highlight it. To add more than one line, hold down the Shift key and click on each line.
- When the line is highlighted, click on the right indent icon in the ribbon bar. By clicking on the indentation icon on the ribbon bar, the research requirement and the RFP approval are a subtask of the draft RFP.
- Use the same procedure to create subtasks for the entire project.
Add a Milestone
Milestones are the best way to verify if the work is running as scheduled or to inform the end of a specific phase.
- Add a new line to create a milestone and place it to show in the line. To add a milestone, click on that line.
- On the Tasks tab, click the Milestones button on the ribbon bar.
- Click on the cell with the new milestone and enter the name of the milestone. The milestones are shown as diamonds in the Gantt chart.
Link Tasks Related to
Once you add a milestone, you'll want to link it to a task with full dates.
- Click on a milestone in a row, hold down Shift and click on the task you are going to to link. The line is highlighted.
- Click on the link icon in the ribbon bar to connect the task. You can also connect other tasks using the same procedure.
Enable the Feature
If it is not activated automatically (a blank timeline will be shown above the Gantt chart if it is enabled), you must activate it manually.
- Click on the Display tab. Next, on the box next to the tape timeline.
- Enable it.
Add a Task
Once the feature is enabled, you can add tasks. By adding these elements, you can also set how the information is shown by adding / deleting titles and assigning colors.
- Add the task to the timeline by clicking on it.
- Right-click the mouse and choose Add to timeline. Now it is shown in the timeline.
Share the Data
Once you can see the timeline, you can share it with others by email or add it to the presentation.
- Click on the Format tab at the top of the screen and click on the arrow below the Copy Timeline button on the ribbon.
- Choose the exchange method by clicking on Email, Presentation or Full size.
- The software saves a copy to the clipboard. Next, open the program you want to share (PowerPoint or E-mail) and paste it.
Selection of the Project Timeline Software
When choosing the software that creates the timeline, think about other uses of the data, be sure to test the tool.
The line was originally created to put people in orbit, providing a visual timeline for beginning and ending specific tasks. Nowadays, because it is used in different industries, clarifications, accountability, communication improvement and help to adjust something are presented.
Visualize the Trip
The timeline is a convenient way to graphically represent tasks or projects with start and end dates. With our management software, you can create visual reports that can show schedules, such as dependencies and milestones. We will make updates in real time to keep teams updated when conditions change.
Our project management software tool runs in the cloud so you can access the timeline on your desktop, mobile device or tablet.
We're Making Real what you Want to See
Our project timeline software provides flexibility to adjust the view as needed.
- Decide on the increase of time to use in the timeline. Choose if you want to use the calendar year or the fiscal year.
- Decide whether to include milestones in the line or not.
- Select the screen and the total duration of the report.
- Select the nested timeline if necessary.
Consider the status report of the project with which you interacted for the last time. What visual elements do you have? Can you clearly understand the progress by looking at the first page? Was the color used? Only a black text? Was it easy to understand?
All interested parties will listen to question # 1 of the timeline: if the information about the project is communicated, the date is important, it is important to have a visual look that interested parties. Of course, you can cut the Gantt chart and paste it into the report. If the report already lacks visual elements, this is the first step. But today, as the trend of visual transmission information continues, there are several great tools to help you visualize the progress and date with a timeline software.
The timeline is like a summarized Gantt chart, with the most important dates, events and milestones that are displayed. Creating a timeline for a report has the advantage that you can manage the data in more detail and only show what seems to be most important. Filtering the Gantt chart in the same way is not easy.
- Expert specialists, dedicated groups, established strategies and device experts
- CSTE, CMST, ISTQB, CSQA license tester
- Collaborative tests from the early stages of development
- On-site, off-site and hybrid delivery
- Internal equipment for safety testing and test automation framework
A complete set of quality assurance services covers all dimensions of the product, operationally and visually. Our project timeline software programmers do functional controls for different industries to provide your company with the software, that meets all the needs of your business. Automated and manual quality tests will help us confirm that the utility meets your expectations.
By running with us, you be released from the software development and customisation problems and control of the software updates, and you will be free from the administration of tools, servers and various components. Imagine a report on a wonderful timeline that highlights progress, events, completed milestones and upcoming full-color milestones! We will help you achieve it. Just drop us a line.